Saturday 29 October 2016

Autumn Came Around Fast

So it's Autumn now. You may have noticed.

For a lot of people this means pumpkin spice (honestly never tasted it), artisanal coffee and knitwear. For me, and the rest of the university universe, this means the period where course introductions are all over and the deadlines begin creeping up. Days get darker; the library gets colder, and my TV intake ups by 20 hours a week, since there's no sun in the park any more.

That being said, there's really something beautiful about Autumn. A go-between to start layering clothes without loosing extremities to the cold. To darken up your makeup, whilst still clinging to the summer bronzer. To turn your abode into a candle-cave and hole up with movies, whilst that is still an optional choice. And its the last bastion of peace before the dreaded C word swaggers into view next month.

So here's a brain-dump of all the things I've been loving and will continue to love over the season, anything to stop thinking of the genetics essay I still have to write.

Leisure

GBBO
Because obviously.

Gogglebox
Yes I know its 'meta' or whatever the critics like to write, but it completes my life.

Black Mirror
I love Charlie Brooker, I used to hang on to his weekly Screenburn columns in the Guardian, although sadly these are long retired. He rarely writes for them any more actually, but I can forgive him since the last column he wrote he called David Cameron a 'toe in a suit', and I am a child. But Black Mirror is serious gold. His columns were always filled with the craziest ideas, pushing reality TV and technology to its most morbid; 'DONT FORGET THE LYRICS' always stands out for me. Its always so incredibly well-cast too.

Knitting
I took up knitting again, and I'm making myself a cable-knit scarf! I can't lie, I'm a shocking knitter. Tension all over the place, dropping stitches, forgetting what the pattern is supposed to look like. But nevertheless it's relaxing. I'm hoping if I manage to mash this scarf together I might be competent enough to make a couples of gifts. 

Makeup

The autumn makeup stereotype is obviously to go for dark burgundy tones, berry lips, rusted red eyeshadow, deep reds and browns all over the place. Normally I would be first on the bandwagon, and yet at the moment I'm just not feeling it. The look I'm loving the most at the moment is pure dewy, nude skin, as natural as possible; the 'no-makeup makeup' look. 
Base
My three favourites that I can't get enough of at the moment are Chanel Vita Lumiere Aqua, Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick and Charlotte Tilbury Magic Foundation. None of which are really on the light side of coverage, but I have so much love for them because they wear so well throughout the day. Especially the Magic Foundation, which looks better and better as the day goes on. Also, the BB Foundation stick is absolutely perfect to take out with you, so it travels in my bag every single day.
Base Additions
The Naked Skin Concealer, as most people will probably know is really, really great. If you're in the market for a new concealer its one of the best I've ever used, second probably only to my Double Wear Concealer by Estee Lauder. The Benefit Dew The Hoola bronzer I actually got free in a magazine a while ago, but in the last two weeks ago I truly discovered it, and I'm in love! I will definitely go out and buy the full size, it's a truly beautiful bronzer that gives you such a natural dewy glow. 
The Charlotte Tilbury Face Powder is without a doubt the best powder I've ever used, and I recently discovered (late to the party as per) the Wayne Goss technique to powder your face before applying foundation: he's absolutely right. I can't explain the difference it makes to longevity, as well as the way that foundation sits on the complexion. It just makes it inexplicably better. Try it.

Also the CT Colour of Youth blusher is beautiful, and so, so dewy and healthy looking. I'm very glad I splurged on this, I was worried it would be a regretful submission to hype. But this is yet another product I love to carry with me. 
Everything Else
For my brows I've been using the CT Brow Pencil in Cara, and the Maybelline Brow Gel (I've gone through three already). I do very much like the brow pencil formulation, however it does contain a brow highlight that I'm not all that keen on. I'm also not sure I prefer it to the Smashbox Fine Brow Pencil, although it definitely lasts a lot longer. Swings and roundabouts I guess. I also just discovered the merits of brushing upwards

My favourite highlight right now is just Vaseline. It takes five seconds and there's no way to over-apply it! Makes your skin look extra dewy and healthy without a fake-looking sparkle on the cheeks. Its about as natural as highlight can get. 
When I'm not putting Vaseline on my lips too I've really enjoyed the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creme in Athens and the Rimmel London Lasting Finish Lipstick in 43. Both very similar nudes, but with different textures. I love the look of the NYX lipstick, but honestly, several times I've bitten my lip, in what is a very bad habit and; yep, I've eaten it. And I'm not crazy about how it dries either. 

Clothing
Jumpers, suede, cashmere, merino, wool, and a muted, warm-toned colour palette. My trench coat came back out and I'm starting to layer up with scarves, long sleeve t's and boots. I also just got my thick oversized wool trousers back out which is very exciting, and I'm wearing my knitted wool socks, lovingly handmade my auntie, snuggled inside my Ugg slippers!


Yes to this time of year after all.

Xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment