Monday 9 December 2013

...Degree Really Comes in Handy Sometimes

Sometimes I read the descriptions on beauty products and think: "What are they talking about?"

It seems common place now to use long scientific jargon to describe products, simply because the makers know that the average-Joe won't know what the words really mean. Most people never really bother to find out either I suppose... If something sounds sciency and impressive, then it must work, right?

I read the label of a product today that said; "Arnica and Madecassoside, suspended in liposomes with powerful peptides and biodynes to initiate a uniquely soothing and collagen boosting process.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm sure that's true or they wouldn't be able to put it on the bottle. What I have a problem with, is that rubbing liposomes on your face is pretty much guaranteed to do nothing. Liposomes are like little hollow balls, and they have a phospholipid membrane meaning that they act like oil droplets in water. Their membranes are made up of little phospholipids that have hydrophobic tails and hydrophilic heads and they look a bit like lollipops. These things line up together and create a water-resistant bubble that things can be suspended within. 

The cells on your face won't be able to do anything with these little balls, they're too delicate and break up the minute they hit your skin. Your skin's whole purpose in life is to keep things out! To be a strong barrier against anything foreign, so no matter what's in those liposomes; it's not getting through. This cream costs £48 too. 

I'm not trying to come off as pretentious, it's just because I come across these kinds of words all the time in my lectures that I'm very skeptical about what face creams claim to do. 

CoEnzyme Q10, that's another one that doesn't work. But that's a rant for another time.

Xxxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment