Saturday 9 November 2013

Smashbox Vs E.l.f.


I have been using these two products for quite a few months now. They both claim to transform your face into a flawless canvas allowing makeup to glide on and stay in place for longer.

The Smashbox Photo Finish Primer already has an amazing reputation, winning all kinds of beauty awards, and I can see why. The formula is beautiful! It's very smooth and you need only the tiniest drop to cover your whole face, so a bottle this size can last a good while. You can even, apparently, use this primer in your hair to smooth flyaways! I can't say that I've tried this, but still, that's a nice little extra! However, when I bought the e.l.f. primer I really enjoyed using it. Having tried quite a few e.l.f. products before I've never been blown away by the quality, but I think this little bottle definitely holds it's own against Smashbox.

Formula
Both of these products are lightweight and sit wonderfully under foundation. I can definitely notice the better staying power of my foundation when I have taken the time to apply one of these in the morning. I think that the Smashbox primer is definitely smoother and you need a lot less of it to cover your whole face. It also makes a better eyeshadow primer, as the colours I put on my eyes appear a lot brighter than when I use the e.l.f.. I'd say the e.l.f. primer is also a bit more greasy, so if you already have quite oily skin this might not be quite right for you.

Packaging
The Smashbox primer definitely has the better packaging, by a mile. The e.l.f. packaging is badly designed in that the pump does not collect all the product, so you have to unscrew the lid and get it out that way, which is a bit annoying. The Smashbox packaging however, does have the irritating habit of becoming very easily clogged, even after a day. The product that sits in the end of the pump dries very quickly and has to be fired out with some force next time you come to use it, leaving lumpy bits all over your hand.

Price
Weighing in at £25 for 30ml, the Smashbox primer is definitely expensive, and although I really like the product, I wouldn't buy it again purely because of the price. Although the e.l.f. primer falls a little short against its more high-end sister, at £6 I don't think you can really go wrong.

Overall I do prefer the Smashbox primer as far as formula goes, but I think saving £19 on a product that does almost the same thing, far overcomes the e.l.f.'s shortcomings.

No comments:

Post a Comment